Saturday, October 3, 2009

(Cloth) Diaper Duty

I have received quite a few e-mails asking what I use to wash my .... well, Mr. T's, cloth diapers. When Mr. T was first born, I just used regular laundry detergent. I quickly realized that regular detergent was not going to cut it. No matter how much water or detergent I added to our machine (we have a front loader if anyone may be curious), I often had to re-wash the dipes, and more than twice sometimes depending on how bad the accident was that caused the diaper to need a washing in the first place.

After quite a few ruined dipes (or so I thought) and much frustration, I finally sat down in front of my PC and did some research. Upon educating myself more on not only cleaning cloth diapers, but products used to treat them, I finally found two products that have been absolute life (and time) savers in the cloth diapering arena.

First is Bi-O-Kleen Bac-Out. Bac-Out is both a stain and odor eliminator that I spray on Mr. T's dipes immediately before they go into the diaper pail. Bac-out contains live strains of active enzymes that naturally and safely digest organic waste and odors. Yes, it is environmentally and human friendly! This stuff works absolute wonders not only on dipe stains, but on stains in general. I have a problem when it comes to wearing white. No matter how hard I try, I ALWAYS end up getting something on my white apparel. I have gotten rid of many white articles of clothing simply because I got some sort of invincible stain in them that I could not for the life of me remove. Bac-Out works on everything, I kid you not. I got a horrible mustard stain on a white shirt of mine that I just knew wasn't going to come out. I sprayed some Bac-Out on it, let it sit for a few hours, washed it, and it was as good as new! I honestly think no cloth diapering mom should be without this stuff, it is awesome. Oh, and I've read, though we haven't tried it, that the enzymes in Bac-Out are even good for eating away buildup in clogged drains!

The second product is a wonderful cloth diaper detergent that I found. It was created by a work at home, cloth diapering mother named Kim, whose children happen to have sensitive skin. She also happens to have hard water, so upon making her product, she took that into consideration for not only herself, but other mothers who would eventually use the product as well. After much testing, she became the creator of Rockin' Green cloth diaper detergent. Here are a few tidbits about Rockin' Green.


Rockin’ Green is:
  • Dye free
  • Comes in several yummy scents (& an unscented version)
  • No fillers
  • No enzymes or optical brighteners
  • 100% Phosphate free
  • Vegan
  • Great for sensitive skin
  • Easy rinsing formula
  • Approved for military use
  • Works wonders on microfiber stink!
  • Perfect for cloth diapers
  • HE compatible
  • Reusable packaging
  • Great for all water types
  • Economical at .13 cents a load!
I haven't ever been a fan of powder detergents but I must say that Rockin' Green has won me over. All it takes is just ONE wash in this detergent and Mr. T's dipes come out not only looking great, but smelling great too! As noted in the tidbits above, this detergent comes in an unscented version or you can choose from twelve wonderful scents. I happen to be a fan of the Vanilla Buttercream fragrance. If you look at the list of fragrances and you're not sure what fragrance you may like, then you can order a sample of a few fragrances for a mere $2 each. A sample is enough to do 5 regular loads or 10 loads in a high efficiency washer. It also comes in "soft rock," the sensitive skin version, and "Classic Rock." This detergent doesn't make many suds so don't be alarmed, but rest assured that it will indeed get your dipes nice and clean. I fell so in love with this product that I now use it not only on Mr. T's dipes, but on all of our household laundry. It leaves our towels smelling so great that our entire linen closet smells of vanilla buttercream after laundry day!

There ya go, the two products that have been absolute lifesavers for me in the realm of cloth diapering. What I love is that I can also use both of these products on other household items, and on my clothing and Poppa Morgan's clothing as well. Hopefully some of you will give these things a try. They truly have made diaper duty a lot less stressful in the Morgan mound. Happy diapering!


All photos are copyrighted by their respective owners. No infringement is intended.
To visit the Rockin' Green website, click HERE.
To purchase Bi-O-Kleen Bac-Out, click HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Thanx for the information and you have award waiting on my blog. :)
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete